WHATIPU lies within the Waitakere Ranges Regional Park .... beautiful, wild & remote with significant Maori associations & many historic sites.
From the 1850s until the 1920s the area was a logging and timber production centre and a large mill was built in the Whatipu valley in the 1860s.
Paratutai Wharf, nearby at the northern edge of the Manukau Harbour, became the terminus for the Piha tramway which brought logs and sawn timber out from the local mills for shipping. Remnants of this activity are still visible today although the bush and tide have reclaimed mill sites and train tracks.
The collection of historic wooden buildings known as WHATIPU LODGE is now the only dwelling at Whatipu.
It is managed privately, under licence from the Auckland Regional Council.
The homestead was built by the Gibbons family in 1870. The two rows of little bedrooms, the kitchen and dining room were built between 1910 and 1921.
Whatipu's wild beauty and sense of history have attracted holidaymakers to the Lodge since the 1920s.
The Whatipu Sands area was classified as a Scientific Reserve in 2002 and is one of the most ecologically significant in the Auckland Region.